47: Adaptogens for Health and Healing
Adaptogens are plant-based powerhouses that can do everything from balance hormones to helping you recover from adrenal fatigue. In this episode, we’ll cover what adaptogens are and how they can bring balance and rejuvenation to your mind and body.
What are adaptogens?
Adaptogens are plant extracts that help the body resist stressors of all kinds—physical, chemical, biological. These herbs and roots have been used for centuries in Chinese and Ayurvedic healing traditions to help bring the body back into homeostasis.
Benefits of Adaptogens
- Better Sleep
- Hormone support
- Reverse Adrenal fatigue
- Reduce Stress
- Natural Energy Levels
- Mood Boosters
Adaptogens We Love
- American Ginseng – regulates blood sugar, fights fatigue and is protective against cold and flu
- Siberian Ginseng – Studied benefits of taking Siberian ginseng include pain alleviation, improving bone health and osteoporosis symptoms, stimulating the immune system, supporting sleep, improving cholesterol levels
- Ashwagandha – Studied benefits include reducing inflammation, improving insulin sensitivity and blood sugar regulation, supporting fertility, increasing muscle mass and strength, lowering cholesterol and triglycerides, anticancer effects, and alleviating depression, stress, and anxiety; sleep support
- Cordyceps – Studied benefits of cordyceps include boosting energy and athletic performance, anticancer and anti-inflammatory effects, improving blood sugar, and lowering blood pressure.
- Panax Ginseng (Asian Ginseng) – Studied benefits include improved brain function and memory, respiratory health and reducing symptoms of COPD, boosting energy, supporting sexual vitality, and possibly lowering the risk of getting cold or flu.
- Goji Berries – Studied benefits include improved focus and sleep patterns, improved fertility, increased energy, better eye health, and improved immunity. However, there is some evidence that goji berries may cause uterine contractions, so pregnant women should avoid taking goji berry products.
- Licorice Root – Studied benefits of licorice root include alleviating stomach pain, lowering stress by stimulating the adrenal gland, protecting skin and teeth with its antibacterial and antiviral properties, improving respiratory function by promoting healthy mucus production, and anticancer effects.
- Reishi – It’s thought to have immune-boosting and anticancer effects and has applications in some treatments of prostate cancer. Other potential benefits include fighting fatigue, boosting HDL “good” cholesterol levels, and lowering high blood sugar.
- Maca Root (Peruvian Ginseng) – Potential benefits of maca root include improved mood, sun protection, improved bone and brain health, fertility, reduced menopause symptoms, and lower prostate cancer risk. Maca root appears to have minimal side effects but could increase thyroid hormone due to its iodine content.
- Turmeric – contains the active compound curcumin, which is renowned for many health benefits. Potential benefits of using turmeric include alleviating cold and allergy symptoms, reducing depression, and relieving inflammation and associated pain.
- Tulsi – contains compounds thought to have adaptogenic properties, such as pain-relieving eugenol, anti-inflammatory ursolic and rosmarinic acids, waste-removing apigenin, the antioxidant lutein, and stress-reducing compounds. It’s commonly used for alleviating symptoms of cold and flu. But other potential benefits include boosting upper respiratory immunity, lowering anxiety, reducing cholesterol levels, and improving metabolic syndrome.
Featured in this episode…
Check out our Superfoods Supplement line—it’s chock full of adaptogens!