My husband loves to travel. I knew that he had a taste for adventure when we met – actually, that’s a big part of what attracted me to him. We used to travel around the world together, but since having our kids (3 and 1) that’s slowed down quite a bit for both of us.
While he’s away there are days when it would be easy for me to have complete meltdown – especially when the little ones are hungry and I’m tired. That’s why I have a slow cooker – specifically an Instant Pot which is way better than a regular slow cooker.
It does everything – you can pressure cook, slow cook, saute, make rice, soup, chicken and beef – even cake! – in this thing. It’s a lifesaver. I use it every week and when I’m on solo duty with the kids it’s pretty much all I use for meal prep.
This Chicken Tortilla Soup is extremely flavorful and comforting. You can actually make it in a snap using the pressure cook function on the Instant Pot. I personally, do not like pressure cooked chicken. I find that it’s not as tender so I prefer to slow cook this recipe.
I like to add Cilantro Essential Oil at the end for an extra twist. It also supports healthy digestion and detoxification. I make a big pot of this in my Instant Pot and we can get 2 to 3 meals out of it depending on how much the kids eat. My 1 year old can eat grown men under the table. It’s crazy…
Anyway, I hope you enjoy this! Feel free to make it your own!Print
Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Yield: 6 - 8 People 1x
- 1 spoonful of coconut oil or a drizzle of EVOO
- ½ cup diced onion
- 2 to 4 cloves of garlic minced (I like more garlic, so I do 4)
- 1 red pepper (seeded and diced)
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- ½ tsp. black pepper
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 8 oz. fresh salsa
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes or 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1, 15- oz can black beans (drained)
- 2 tsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 2 lb. boneless (skinless chicken breast)
- 1 – 2 tbsp. fresh lime juice (optional)
- 2 to 3 drops Cilantro Essential Oil or fresh chopped cilantro
Other toppings of choice:
- Sour cream (or coconut kefir if you’re dairy free)
- Shredded cheese
- Crispy tortilla strips
Instant Pot Users:
- Press the Saute button the instant pot. Once it says “Hot” add the coconut oil and cook the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft.
Non-Instant Pot Users:
- Heat a pan over medium heat and add the coconut oil. Saute the onion, garlic and red pepper until soft.
- Add the seasonings, chicken broth, fresh salsa, beans and chicken to the Instant Pot or your slow cooker. You will add the chicken as a whole.
- Stir everything so that the chicken is nicely coated with the seasonings.
- Cook on low for 4 to 6 hours. I find that 4 hours on low in the Instant Pot is just right.
- After the allotted time, remove the chicken using a slotted spoon and shred. I LOVE this video on how to shred chicken fast. Saves me lots of time.
- Add the drops of Cilantro Essential Oil (if using) and stir.
- To serve, add the chicken to a serving bowl. Ladle a few spoonfuls of soup over the chicken. Add the crispy tortillas (recipe below), chopped cilantro and other toppings if desired. My favorite additions are avocado and a scoop of coconut kefir which I use as sour cream.
- Yield: 6 - 8 People 1x
- 2– 3 heaping teaspoons of coconut oil
- 4 Food for Life Rice Wraps (or 6 Corn Tortillas)
- Sea salt
- Using kitchen scissors, cut the tortillas or rice wraps into long, thin strips – then cut those strips into about 4-inch long pieces.
- Heat the oil in the skillet over medium high heat.
- Add the tortilla strips and stir every few minutes so that they brown evenly on all sides.
- Sprinkle with sea salt and remove from the pan.
- Add to your soup for extra crunch and tastiness.
Binge the Latest
Turmeric Benefits & The Best Turmeric Supplement
Ginger Benefits & The Best Ginger Supplement
Schizandra Berry Benefits & The Best Schizandra supplement
A Guide to Gut Health for Women