Homemade Body Butter and Sunburn Cream
I’ve never been prone to sunburns, but my husband actually is. Anytime we go to the beach or spend a significant amount of time outdoors he’s careful to apply sunscreen.
I actually think he may be more concerned about the wrinkles and aging that sun damage can bring!
I totally get it.
But we went to the beach earlier this summer and he got burned! A little too much fun in the sun without reapplying can do that. We had a great time, but his back and shoulders were completely red – so much so that I affectionately called him “my little lobster” for part of the day.
Right when we got back to the house we were renting, I knew that we needed to act quickly to reduce the inflammation.
Thankfully, I packed some homemade body butter and by adding essential oils it turned out to be the perfect remedy for his sunburn.
We applied the homemade body butter and essential oil multiple times on the day that he got burned (probably 4 times). By the next day, I couldn’t call him “my little lobster” anymore because the bright red skin had faded to pink.
And you know what else was miraculous? He didn’t peel at all.
Not the second day, not ever. By the third day his skin was still a little pink but it was almost back to normal.
I credit the miraculous abilities of essential oils and the simple ingredients used in this homemade body butter.
Here’s some of the skin healing ingredients in the homemade body butter:
- Almond Oil is rich in Vitamin E which is nourishing to the skin and helps to soothe. It’s also good for dry, dehydrated skin.
- Coconut Oil is wonderful for all types of skin issues. It’s anti-inflammatory which makes it very useful for sunburns.
- Shea Butter soothes damaged skin and also acts as a sealant to lock in moisture.
Now, for the essential oils. These little drops can work miracles. Here’s the essential oils that we use to promote healing from sunburns:
- Frankincense supports skin cell regeneration. This is exactly what you need when you’re trying to repair damaged skin and it’s also why Frankincense is one of the top anti-aging essential oils.
- Lavender is a very complex essential oil and one of its many uses is for soothing skin irritations. It also doesn’t hurt that it has a lovely aroma.
- Sandalwood helps to hydrate the skin and lock in moisture. This woody essential oil has a beautiful, earthy aroma and is one of my favorites for dry skin.
- Myrrh is another essential oil with many benefits. It’s used in anti-aging and skin care treatments and we use it in this burn cream as well. It helps to calm the skin and promote healing.
These are ROCKSTAR ingredients. When you use the homemade body butter you’ll see why you’ll have no need to ever throw money away on conventional lotions or body butter again.
The essential oils are just icing on the cake and they are especially useful for healing a sunburn. This is a staple toiletry that we use regularly in our household. Give it one try and you will too!Print
Do you keep it in the refrigerator or at room temp.??