22: Benefits of Intermittent Fasting
Today, we’re going to be talking about one of our favorite lifestyle strategies, intermittent fasting (IF), and the benefits of intermittent fasting for aging, maximize brain function, and weight issues.
What is Intermittent Fasting and Why is It So Popular?
Intermittent fasting is one of the most popular wellness trends right now because IT WORKS!
We’ve been intermittent fasting since 2010 and we love it. Intermittent fasting is an eating pattern of periods of eating and periods of fasting. Contrary to popular belief, it is not a diet per se. Meaning, it does not specify what you can and can not eat but rather when you eat.
There are different fasting methods that we go into more here, but whichever you choose, you will still benefit from.
Basic IF: 16:8 fast 16 hours, eat in an 8 hour window
Advanced IF: eat 1 meal a day/2 small meals and do this once or twice a week
Fasting and the benefits of intermittent fasting can help your body get into that beta oxidation where it burns fat for energy instead of sugar or energy. It also helps improve digestion and gives your body a change to detox at a deeper level while giving your adrenals a break.
- Weight Loss: burn fat for energy instead of sugar; sky rocket HGH levels
- Positive Hormonal Changes: can help lessen stress and give your adrenals a break
- Cellular Repair: allows your cells a chance to digest and eliminate old waste that builds up
- Lowers Insulin Resistance: proven to lower insulin levels and improve insulin sensitivity
- Brain Health: promote new cellular growth and protect against Alzheimer’s
Featured in this episode…