Are you dealing with adrenal fatigue? Common adrenal fatigue symptoms include fatigue, insomnia, lightheadedness, poor circulation, weight issues, sugar cravings, and more. In this episode, we’re connecting the dots between adrenal fatigue, leaky gut, and hormone imbalances. Learn how you can address adrenal fatigue to help with leaky gut and hormone imbalances before they lead to more serious issues.
How is adrenal fatigue connected to leaky gut and gut issues?
Leaky gut is known as an increased intestinal permeability when the tight junctions of the cells lining the small intestine lose their integrity. When this happens food particles that should not enter the bloodstream do and cause inflammation and food sensitivities. Initial leaky gut symptoms include: bloating, food sensitivities, disrupted thyroid, fatigue, joint pain, headaches, skin issues, digestive issues, weight gain.
- Adrenal fatigue is often caused by chronic stress. Our stress responses can create damage in the gut. A lot of times, we respond to stress with emotional eating, eating on the go, and processed foods. All of this can damage the gut integrity.
- Adrenal fatigue sufferers often rely on sugary sodas, coffee, and energy drinks. Excess sugar from these drinks can wipe out good gut bacteria and feed the bad compromising bad bacteria. This can lead to yeast infections, candida, and cravings.
- Stress itself can be physically damaging to the gut, triggering poor digestion and worsening gut issues.
How Does This Impact Hormones?
- Not addressing chronic stress and leaky gut can lead to autoimmune conditions such as Hashimoto’s. What follows is burnout and underproduction of thyroid hormones.
One action step is to create a lifestyle that builds in rest and recovery.
- Write down 10 things that you enjoy doing that are not related to work and ideally don’t involve social media.
- Going for walks, cycling, having a hot bath, using the sauna, spending time with a close friend, sleeping in, reading a good book, journaling, praying, exercising.
Featured in this episode…