Everyone needs an easy salad recipe that tastes delicious and takes very little time. I try to eat salads a few times a week because the raw greens are so healthy and provide essential nutrients for gorgeous skin.
This Spinach Pesto & Chicken Salad recipe is a favorite of mine because it’s quick and easy. When Isaac and I lived in Toronto we LOVED going to this vegan/vegetarian café called Fresh. They have the best salads, rice bowls, wraps and vegetarian burgers in Toronto. Just…so good.
So, when I heard that they had cookbooks featuring some of my favorite recipes from the restaurant I had to snatch them up. The cookbooks feature tons of creative, meat free recipes that are packed full of healthy, fresh veggies.
This recipe is one that I adapted from one of their cookbooks called Refresh.
I’m not a vegetarian, but I understand the value of taking a break from meat-eating every now and then. Plus, these cookbooks feature so many great ways to eat greens and veggies that the recipes are so easy to love-vegetarian or not.
Even though the photo of this salad is taken in a way so that you can clearly see the different ingredients, this is not how I serve it. I take a pair of kitchen scissors and cut all of the ingredients up in a large mixing bowl and I stir the salad and coat it with the pesto and dressing.
It’s not as pretty as this photo, but it’s so good! I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!Print
- 2 chicken breasts (cut into strips)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Coconut oil
- 1 8.5 oz. jar of sundried tomatoes (( you won’t use the whole thing ))
- 1 cup cooked white kidney beans
- ½ cup pumpkin seeds (( I toast mine on the stove top for a few minutes ))
- 2 avocadoes (sliced)
- Mixed Greens (for 4 salads)
- 1 batch of spinach basil pesto (see below)
SPINACH BASIL PESTO
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- 1/3 cup pine nuts
- 3 tbsp. olive oil
- Huge handful of basil leaves
- 2 handfuls of fresh spinach
- Season chicken strips with salt and pepper. I also like to sprinkle on dried oregano or my favorite organic All Purpose Seasoning.
- Heat a large pan over medium heat. Add the coconut oil. Once the pan is hot, add the chicken strips and cook completely through – 5 to 6 minutes per side.
- While the chicken is cooking prepare the pesto. Add the garlic to a food processor and mince. Add the remaining ingredients (minus the leaves) and process until smooth.
- Add the spinach and basil. You may need to scrape the sides a couple of times during the processing.
- Once the chicken is completely cooked, set it aside. Divide the greens amongst 4 bowls. Arrange each ingredient on top of each salad (4 to 5 sundried tomatoes, ¼ cup of beans, 2 tbsp. of pumpkin seeds and half of an avocado).
- Top with a spoonful of pesto. You can serve the salad with the pesto as “dressing” or use a dressing of your choice.