Did you know that one of the best things you can do to heal adrenal fatigue is eat breakfast? Yup, it can be as simple-and as annoying (to some) as that. I know that intermittent fasting seems to be all the rage right now, but the truth is, intermittent fasting can really throw women’s hormones out of whack, making adrenal fatigue symptoms worse. In this article, I’m sharing why eating breakfast is necessary for healing and 10 adrenal fatigue breakfast ideas to make your life easier and more delicious.
What is adrenal fatigue?
Adrenal fatigue, also known as HPA axis dysfunction, happens when you have been under chronic stress for far too long and your adrenal function is suffering. Stressors can be environmental, physical, emotional, and mental. When adrenal health isn’t adequate, cortisol levels (cortisol is your stress hormone) are off, creating hormonal imbalances through out the entire body. When this happens you can experience a host of adrenal fatigue symptoms like chronic exhaustion, dependency on stimulants, sugar/salt cravings, and more. Taking a functional medicine approach to adrenal recovery can help! My favorite being food!
A good adrenal fatigue diet requires a good breakfast—and a good adrenal fatigue breakfast requires a couple of things.
Breakfast: the most important meal of the day
The old saying is true, especially when it comes to healing from adrenal fatigue. When you skip breakfast a couple things happen…
1 – Blood Sugar Dysregulation: skipping breakfast often means consuming the bulk of your food and calories later in the day. One study showed that when healthy adults consumed identical meals at breakfast, lunch, and dinner, that their post-meal blood glucose increase was lowest post-breakfast and highest post-dinner. This means that blood sugar levels are more sensitive at night versus the morning. The best way to keep blood sugar stable throughout the day is to consume a balanced breakfast first thing in the morning. Blood sugar spikes also skews omega-6 fatty acid levels creating pro-inflammatory molecules called prostaglandins that turn on inflammation. Not only does this wreak havoc on the stress system, but can also cause extra cramping and pain during or before menstruation (heightened PMS being a sign of adrenal fatigue).
2 – Confused Circadian Rhythm: just like how the blue light from your phone late at night can throw off your internal clock, messing with hormones and quality sleep, so can skipping breakfast. A balanced meal when you wake up supports your body’s natural circadian rhythm helping with metabolism, energy, blood sugar control, and hormone production.
3 – Digestive Issues: Believe it or not, skipping breakfast can actually cause digestive issues. In one study, women who skipped breakfast daily showed a significant tendency towards constipation! When our detox system isn’t working properly, we create stress and inflammation in the body. This is horrible for adrenal fatigue as nervous system dysregulation and chronic stress are at the core! To heal, we need to reduce stress and flush toxins as much as possible.
There are many more reasons to eat breakfast, but to combat what I mentioned above-eating breakfast is a must. At the root of adrenal fatigue, we often have symptoms of a confused circadian rhythm, digestive issues, and poor blood sugar control.
Rules for Eating an Adrenal Fatigue Approved Breakfast
- Must Help Stabilize Blood Sugar: First and probably the most important rule for eating an adrenal fatigue approved breakfast is that it must help stabilize blood sugar. In order to do this your breakfast must be more than a black cup of coffee! Sorry to break it to you, but coffee with nothing in it is a recipe for a blood sugar spike, stress, anxiety, digestive issues, and hormonal problems. To stabilize blood sugar, I recommend drinking 16 ounces of water first thing in the morning. A squeeze of lemon for bonus points. After you’ve properly hydrated, eat a balanced breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up. A balanced breakfast means protein, healthy fat, fiber, and complex carbohydrates. When you balance carbohydrate with healthy fat, you’ll avoid a blood sugar spike. Protein and fiber are necessary for hormone balance, which we are looking for when healing adrenal fatigue.
- Must Be Nutrient Dense: Flooding your body with nutrients first thing in the morning is the sweetest way to show your vessel you love her. Choose foods that are nutrient dense and contain vitamins and minerals that help with adrenal hormone production, stress reduction, and hormone balance.
- Must Be Satisfying: Eating something that you hate is just going to cause more stress and disconnection from your body. I encourage you to choose adrenal fatigue breakfast ideas from this list that sound delicious and filling to you. When you feel satisfied after your breakfast, you’ll have more energy and make better choices throughout your day. Consistency is key here when healing adrenal fatigue, and a good breakfast is a great start.
10 Adrenal Fatigue Breakfast Ideas
1 – Superfood Smoothie
I am a huge smoothie gal: they’re simple, nutrient dense, and so refreshing. The beauty of a smoothie is that you can pack a bunch of nutrient-dense ingredients into one for a simple, on the go breakfast.
If I am ever in a rush (this is often) I throw a bunch of goodies into a blender, mix, and go. Here is my go-to recipe:
- Frozen berries
- ¼ – ½ of an avocado
- 1 scoop of Beauty Collagen Complex (adaptogens to combat stress and collagen to rebuild gut lining)
- 1 cup of milk alternative
This recipe is amazing for adrenal fatigue because it has healthy fat, protein, and carbohydrates. Our Beauty Collagen Complex really makes it next level healing too.
2 – HARD BOILED EGGS AND…
If you’re short on time, make these in advance one day of the week and enjoy them over several days. Eggs are rich in protein and healthy fat and are a great option for keeping your blood sugar stable. Plus, they double as an easy snack. Add a little Himalayan sea salt and pepper if desired. Pair with avocado, mustard or relish if you want to change it up a little bit.
- Optional: avocado, tomato, turkey bacon, gluten free toast/crackers
- Place eggs in a pot and cover them with water. Bring the water to a boil over high heat
- Ass soon as the water begins to boil, turn the stove off and cover the pot
- Leave eggs in for 10-12 minutes depending on yolk texture you enjoy
- Move them to a large bowl of ice water and let sit for at least 14 minutes.
- Peel and enjoy!
3 – PROTEIN PACKED OATS
I love packing this classic breakfast with delicious protein and healthy fats. It’s quick, easy, filling, and delicious.
- Alternative milk
- Nut butter like almond, peanut, cashew
- Scoop of Beauty Collagen Complex
- Cook oats as instructed, adding a scoop of nut butter, milk and Beauty Complex. Stir completely, top with other toppings if desired and enjoy!
Oatmeal is hailed as mostly a sweet breakfast, but I’m here to tell you that it can be just as (if not more) delicious as a savory dish. Make a batch of savory oats that can last you up to 4 days and get creative with different toppings-I promise you’ll never get bored of this breakfast.
Ingredients (for one serving):
- 1 minced clove of garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- ½ cup of rolled oats
- 1 tsp of butter or oil if you are dairy free
- Veggies of choice (spinach, mushroom, avocado, tomatoes, etc)
Follow direction to cook oats.
4 – OVERNIGHT VANILLA HONEY CHIA PUDDING
Chia seeds are a fabulous source of protein, omega 3’s and fiber. They are also incredible for stabilizing blood sugar levels. Hello, happy hormones and plump skin! Whip this up at night for a quick and delicious breakfast.
- 6 tablespoons chia seeds
- Plant-based milk such as almond or coconut
- 1 scoop Beauty Collagen Complex
- Berries of choice for topping (I love raspberries and blueberries!)
- Add chia seeds, milk of choice, and collagen to a bowl. Mix well until clumps are gone. Place in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 4 hours to overnight. Top with berries and enjoy!
5 – Breakfast Tacos
Breakfast tacos are an easy morning meal thanks to meal prep. You can toss together black beans, roasted veggies (I personally love sweet potatoes and mushrooms for this), avocado, protein, and an optional egg on gluten free tortillas.
- Gluten free tortillas of choice (we love Siete wraps)
- Black beans
- Roasted veggies
6 – Gut Lovin’ Yogurt Parfait
During this time, you really want to prioritize foods that are going to support your gut. That means probiotic-rich coconut yogurt or cashew yogurt! This is a delicious and refreshing breakfast that can help boost antioxidant levels and protein intake. It’s also so quick and easy to make.
- Coconut or cashew yogurt
- 1 scoop of Beauty Collagen Complex or another collagen
- Top with sliced berries, hemp seeds, almond butter, and granola
- Option to add other delicious fruits like kiwi, apples, and mango. You can also top with cacao nibs!
7 – Sweet Potato Anyway
Sweet potatoes may be the epitome of health food for women. A complex carbohydrate dense in nutrients and grounding to the system, they are especially lovely for your adrenal fatigue healing journey. Here are some ways you can enjoy sweet potatoes for breakfast;
- Bake whole and add a scoop of coconut oil or almond butter and cinnamon for blood sugar regulation
- Add half of a sweet potato to a blender with ⅓ of a frozen banana, ice, and almond milk and enjoy as a smoothie
- Eat with quinoa and avocado
- Blend into a warming soup
8 – Avocado or Nut Butter Toast
We don’t recommend starting the day with naked carbs, so we upgrade our toast with healthy fat and/or protein. Try spreading toast with nut butter or smashed avocado and sea salt. Sprinkle with chia seeds if desired. We recommend gluten-free toast because so many people are reactive to gluten which can cause inflammation and gut issues.
- Gluten free bread (I love a chia and millet blend that you can find in the freezer aisle)
- Healthy fat options: Smashed avocado and sea salt, Nut or seed butter (cashew, almond, peanut butter or sunflower seed butter are all tasty options)
- Topping options: Hemp Seeds, Chia Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Shredded coconut
- Toast 1-2 slices of bread
- Choose a healthy fat and top with a seed option of choice
9 – Breakfast egg muffins
For all my savory breakfast lovers out there, this breakfast egg muffin is delicious. Easy to make ahead of time and then eat throughout the week, here’s how you make this balanced breakfast:
- 8 eggs
- ⅓ cup of unsweetened almond milk
- 1 minced garlic clove
- ¼ teaspoon of Dijon mustard
- A pinch of salt
- Pepper to taste
- 1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
- ¼ cup of scallions
- 2 shredded kale leaves
- ⅓ cup of crumbled feta optional*
- Preheat the oven to 350 and spray with olive oil
- In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, mustard, garlic, dill, salt, and pepper together.
- Pour a bit of the egg mixture into the bottom of each muffin cup.
- Add veggies in
- Pour remaining egg mixture on top
- Bake for 22 to 22 minutes. Store in the fridge.
*You can also make this with mushrooms and spinach!
10 – BREAKFAST COOKIES
Who doesn’t love a fast and easy breakfast cookie? This recipe is amazing if you want to make a batch of these and eat for a quick and balanced breakfast. I love to warm these up and top with a bit of coconut oil for the yummiest treat. Make as big or as small as you want!
- Hemp seeds
- Optional: walnuts, almonds/almond butter, dried cherries/blueberries
- Blend 2 cups of oats until fine
- Blend 8-12 dates
- Combine all ingredients with 1-2 tablespoons of hemp seeds with water until a cookie batter like consistency.
- Bake on 400 for 10-12 minutes or until the bottom of the cookies are browned.
Other Adrenal Fatigue Diet Ideas:
If you’ve been on social media, I’m sure you’ve seen the infamous adrenal cocktail for adrenal healing.
I like to do a little spin on it. And by spin on it, I mean simplify it completely. Our Hydration Superfood Energy powder is loaded with B vitamins, electrolytes, and antioxidants, for gentle cleansing, deep hydration, and all-natural energy. One scoop in water and you’re set for a delicious day of energy and underground healing.
If you are totally set on the orange juice adrenal cocktail, then here is this little spin on it. I like to make a creamsicle drink with orange juice, coconut milk or cream, and a bit of ice! The coconut milk helps to balance the blood sugar spike that often comes with orange juice.
I hope this article has helped you understand why eating breakfast when dealing with adrenal fatigue is important. Which adrenal fatigue breakfast idea are you drooling over? Let me know in the comments below. To shop our beloved for yummy breakfasts everyday, go here.
Binge the Latest
Turmeric Benefits & The Best Turmeric Supplement
Ginger Benefits & The Best Ginger Supplement
Schizandra Berry Benefits & The Best Schizandra supplement
A Guide to Gut Health for Women