You may be thinking that matcha green tea is an unlikely face mask ingredient, but the truth is that the same way it wakes up your brain, it also wakes up your skin when you slather it on. In this article, we’re going to discuss the benefits of matcha green tea for skincare and share three killer matcha green tea powder facemask recipes for a brighter, more youthful-looking you.
Benefits of Matcha Green Tea Face Masks
Green tea extract can help detox, moisturize, even skin tone, and fight blemishes. The powder can also combat the effects of sun damage, all thanks to its high antioxidant levels. It’s important that you purchase an organic green tea powder because you do not want to put any toxic chemicals on your face.
Combat Acne and Breakouts
Green tea’s anti-inflammatory properties are excellent at reducing the intensity of unwanted breakouts. It can even unclog pores and improve circulation. One study also found that the daily application of green tea solution regulated sebum production (a.k.a oil production).
Detoxify and Cleanse
Green tea also naturally detoxifies and cleanses the skin, helping to flush out impurities. This makes sense why it’s such a popular ingredient for skincare products, including toners and detox masks.
Moisturize and Tighten
Green tea also naturally moisturizes your skin, improving suppleness and elasticity. After one of these green tea masks, your skin is sure to feel smooth and look bright and balanced.
Green tea’s potent antioxidant and anti=inflammatory properties make it a great face mask ingredient for those who want to speed wound healing or reduce the appearance of scars. One study found that green tea is even linked to skin cell rejuvenation.
DIY Green Tea Facemasks
Matcha Green Tea Mask for Dry Skin
For those who struggle with dry skin, this is a fabulous face mask to help moisturize and hydrate skin. A big bonus to this mask is that it gently exfoliates, revealing new, radiant skin.
2 tablespoons of yogurt
1 tablespoon of oats (blend oats before use)
1 teaspoon of green tea powder
- Place yogurt and green tea powder in a small bowl and mix. Add oats and mix well.
- Leave on for 10-15 minutes before rinsing.
Matcha Green Tea Face Mask for Detox
Use this mask to draw impurities out of skin and get rid of blackheads. Use as a scrub to gently buff off any dead skin.
- ½ teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- ½ teaspoon of bentonite clay
- 2 teaspoons of raw honey
- 2 teaspoons of witch hazel
- 3 drops of lemongrass essential oil (you can also use lavender or frankincense)
- 1.4-½ teaspoon of sweet almond oil for dryer or mature skin (optional)
- Mix together ingredients in a small bowl
- Apply the mask and leave it on for 10-15 minutes.
- Hydrate after! Bentonite clay can be dehydrating.
Matcha Green Tea Face Mask for All Skin Types
- 1 teaspoon matcha green tea powder
- ½ teaspoon of raw honey
- Make a paste with two ingredients and apply to face and neck
- Leave on for 15 minutes